Code of ConductUpdated Wednesday January 17, 2018 by Grayslake Colts Football, Cheer & Dance.
PLAYER CODE OF CONDUCT
1. I understand that the goal of youth sports is to have fun and improve my skills. I am participating to have fun, not to please my parents or coaches. I will alert my parents or coaches if it stops being fun.
2. I understand that sometimes my team will win and sometimes my team will lose. I believe that having fun is more important than winning. I know that there is nothing wrong with losing as long as I put forth my best effort. I know that by doing my best my performance will improve and my team will perform better too. I will applaud the efforts of my teammates - win or lose.
3. I will be a good sport and not use inappropriate language. I will talk nice about my teammates. I will make positive comments to recognize all good plays whether by my teammates or an opposing team. I will not bully or make negative comments about or to any player, coach or official. This includes but is not limited to emails, texts, and all social media.
4. I will control my temper and will not get angry when things don't go my way. I will use my energy to improve my skills rather than worrying about things I cannot change.
5. I will do my best to listen and learn from my coaches. I will cooperate with my coaches, teammates, and opponents for without them there would be no game.
6. I will play by the rules of the game and I will never argue with a decision made by Referees or Coaches.
7. I will attend every practice and game I can and notify my coach if I cannot.
8. I will encourage my parents to be involved with my team because it is important to me.
PARENT CODE OF CONDUCT
1. I understand that children are involved in sports for their enjoyment, not mine. I will do my very best to make sure that youth sports are fun. If my child stops having fun, I will inform the coaches so that corrective action can be taken to bring fun back into the game.
2. I will teach my child that an honest effort is more important than victory and I will not be disappointed in the result of the game. I will turn losing into winning by helping my child work towards skill improvement and good sportsmanship. I will never ridicule or yell at any child for making a mistake or losing a game. I will accept victory & defeat with compassion.
3. I understand that children learn by example. I will applaud good play by my child's team and by members of the opposing team and will refrain from criticizing anyone.
4. I will not question the judgment of Referees. I agree to accept all decisions made by game officials or Judges as being fair and called to the best of their ability. I understand that they are only human and like myself can make an honest error.
5. I will support all efforts to remove verbal and physical abuse from children's sports. I will not demonstrate abusive, threatening or profane language or actions at any time regardless of the situation.
6. I recognize the value and importance of volunteers. I understand the Coaches are all volunteers who give their time and energy to provide children with a rewarding sports experience.
7. I agree not to smoke on the practice or playing field or in the presence of a gathering of the team (i.e. after a game/practice or at team meetings). I agree to abstain from the possession of and will not be under the influence of any alcoholic beverages or any illegal substance on the practice or playing field.
8. I agree not to deliberately incite and/or participate in unsportsmanlike conduct. I will not criticize, belittle, antagonize, berate, or otherwise incite the opposing team, its players, coaches, athletes, or fans by word of mouth or by gesture. I agree to be responsible for the behavior of other members of my family and of any guests we may have to a practice or a game.
9. I will help all children enjoy their sports experience by assisting with field operations, being a respectful fan, being a respectful parent, providing transportation and volunteering in any capacity that I can.
10. I agree to discuss disagreements with coaches in private and away from the rest of the team. I understand that there are times when coaches may be unavailable to talk with parents so it may be necessary for me to set up time to talk with coaches outside of game and practice situations.
11. I will be responsible to report any perceived misconduct so that it may be dealt with in the proper manner using the grievance policy as cited in the by-laws.
COACHES CODE OF CONDUCT
1. I understand that my primary role is that of a teacher and that the children that I interact with consider me a role model. Given that my actions have the potential to significantly influence the young athletes whom I coach, I will conduct myself in a manner consistent with my responsibility as a teacher of the game.
2. I understand that winning is an outcome and is the byproduct of good coaching. Winning is not the only goal, nor is it the most important one. I understand that children participate in sports for a variety of reasons but the number one reason is to have fun!
3. I understand that as a youth coach I am obligated to honor the game rules, opponents, officials, teammates, and myself and to teach players to do the same.
4. I understand that coaching is a privilege and not a right and that the game is for children and not adults. Therefore, by participating & acting as a youth sports volunteer, I will adhere to the following codes:
· I will create an appropriate environment for our children that provides a safe playing situation for all participants; focuses on practices that are fun and challenging for all players with an emphasis on teamwork and playing fair; teaches children age appropriate fundamentals and encourages them to improve their skill level; promotes building character and developing self-esteem; de-emphasizes a win at all costs attitude; is fair, consistent and best meets the emotional and physical needs of all children; has a positive and lasting impact on the children of our community.
· I will act responsibly and do my best to assure that: I provide playing time for every child and avoid spotlighting my child; I properly educate all players on the importance of teamwork, effort, having fun and playing fair; I provide players with the best education, instruction, and organization possible by attending required meetings, clinics, and certifications; I am consistent, honest and fair to all players. I will be generous with praise when it is deserved and will avoid criticizing players publicly.
· I will display appropriate behavior. I understand that violations of the following codes will jeopardize my privilege to coach youth sports: I will treat each player, coach, official, parent and director with respect and dignity and will refrain from using profanity, intimidation tactics and inappropriate language; I will display appropriate behavior towards and in the presence of children; I will not engage in ANY physical violence or verbal abuse. I understand that such conduct can result in termination of my coaching privileges with the Grayslake Colts for life; I will review appendix C of the bylaws to familiarize myself with the consequences associated with inappropriate conduct.
The Grayslake Football and Cheerleading Association reserves the right to take appropriate disciplinary action involving any parent or athlete in violation of the code of conduct.
|2018 Athlete, Parent, & Coaches Code of Conduct.docx|